Before your first meeting with a financial adviser, think carefully about your lifestyle goals. Write down a list of questions that cover everything you want to know. It might be a difficult financial concept or something about your super or investments that you don’t understand.
In your first meeting, take some time getting to know your adviser and building that working relationship.
Make your own list that’s based on what’s most important to you.
Get started with some of these questions:
- Can you tell me about your background?
- What is included in your services – and what isn’t?
- Will you implement my financial plan, or will I?
- How long will the whole process take?
- What is your approach to investing?
- How will you communicate with me?
- What information will you give me and how often?
- Is there anyone else who will be working with me?
- Who will be managing my investments?
- What is your fee structure and what are my options for paying?
- How often will we meet to review my financial plan?