By clicking through to the Investments or Platforms site below you confirm that you are a licensed adviser operating under an Australian Financial Services License.

This Financial Services Guide (FSG) is an important document which we are required to give to you under the requirements of our Australian Financial Services Licence. It provides you with information about Colonial First State Investments Limited ABN 98 002 348 352 (‘Colonial First State’, ‘we’, ‘our’, or ‘us’) to help you decide whether to use the financial services we provide. This FSG outlines the types of services and products we can offer to you. It also explains how we (and other relevant persons) are remunerated for these services and includes details of our internal and external complaints handling procedures and how you can access them.


To invest in any of our financial products you, or your participating employer sponsor (if applicable), must complete the application form attached to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS). The PDS contains information about the particular product and will assist you in making an informed decision about that product.


If we provide you with personal financial product advice rather than general financial product advice we will give you a Statement of Advice (SOA), unless we are exempted from doing so. Personal financial product advice is advice that takes into account one or more of your objectives, financial situation and needs. The SOA will contain the advice, the basis on which it is given and information about fees, commissions and any associations which may have influenced the advice.

A printable PDF version of this guide is available here.

Who are we?

Colonial First State is one of Australia’s leading wealth management providers and a part of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia Group (the Bank).

Any financial services offered will be provided by a representative of Colonial First State. Colonial First State has an Australian Financial Services Licence granted under the Corporations Act to provide these services to you. 

We are also licensed to be the trustee of superannuation funds under the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993.

We do not act as a representative of any other licensee in relation to the services we provide you. 

To contact us you can:

What financial services and products do we offer?

Colonial First State is authorised to offer a range of financial services, including:

  • Dealing in financial products
  • Giving advice on financial products
  • Operating registered managed investment schemes
  • Being the trustee of superannuation funds.

We also offer a range of managed investment, superannuation and pension products. Some of our superannuation products offer life insurance benefits. We can help you to apply for these products and can also give you general financial advice in relation to our products, or products offered by other financial institutions, including other members of the Bank.


We do not generally provide financial planning services. We only give personal financial product advice in limited situations. Personal financial product advice is not provided through our website or Investor Services.

How can you transact with us?

You can give us instructions electronically, by telephone, mail, fax or via our website. Any dealings with us by telephone, fax or electronically will be governed by our standard ‘telephone fax and electronic communications terms and conditions’. These terms and conditions are contained in the PDS for each product and are also available on the website at


There are also terms and conditions of use for our website and FirstNet, our secure internet service. These terms and conditions can be obtained on the website.

How are we remunerated for the services we provide?

If you invest in a product we offer, Colonial First State will receive remuneration in relation to your investment in that product.


Where we advise you about products offered by another company of the Bank and you acquire that product, then that company will receive remuneration.


This remuneration may include contribution fees and management costs (which include transaction, ongoing and, if applicable, any borrowing costs). In some situations withdrawal fees, account fees and transaction fees may apply.


The remuneration we will receive for the products we offer is set out in the PDS for the particular product.


Colonial First State does not receive any fees, nor do we charge you additional fees for providing financial product advice.

What commissions, fees or other benefits are received?

Employees of Colonial First State who give you advice do not receive specific payments or commissions for the giving of that advice. These employees and our directors receive salaries, bonuses and other benefits from us. Bonus payments and other benefits are discretionary, and based on achievement of pre determined objectives, in compliance with the Corporations Act 2001.


You may receive advice in relation to the products we offer from financial advisers who do not work for Colonial First State or may be representatives of other licensees in the Bank.


These advisers, as well as their licensed dealer groups, may receive some benefits as well as remuneration from us. The adviser’s and their licensed dealer group’s remuneration is included in the fees you pay when investing in our products. The amount of this remuneration is set out in the PDS for the particular product. Your adviser may also receive other fees for additional services they have agreed to provide you. Your adviser is also required to set out the remuneration and commissions they receive in the SOA which they must give to you.


We do not pay commissions or provide other benefits to third parties for referring customers to us.

What kind of compensation arrangements are in place for a breach of our legal obligations?

Where we are liable to meet a claim, payment will generally be paid from our cash flows and available resources. For claims we may rely on and claim under the professional indemnity insurances that we hold. These insurances are between us and the insurer and are intended to respond to civil liability resulting from significant claims for compensation made against us for financial services provided by us or our representatives. These insurances provide cover even if one of our representatives has ceased to act or work for us.

Our compensation arrangements comply with the legal requirements set out in s912B of the Corporations Act.1

How is your personal information dealt with?

What should you do if you have a complaint?