We all want to make the most of our tax return each year. Did you know, other than claiming the usual work-related expenses, certain super contributions may also be tax deductible?

If you’re looking at what deductions you might be able to claim this tax time, the good news is you may be able to add after-tax super contributions to your tax-deductions list.

Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about tax-deductible super contributions, so you can hopefully increase the amount of money you get back this tax time.


If you’ve missed out this year, you could also use this as a guide to how to claim next year.

What super contributions can I claim a tax deduction on?

You can generally claim a tax deduction on voluntary contributions you make using after-tax dollars. This money may come out of your take-home pay, savings, something you’ve sold (like a house or car), or an inheritance.


You can’t claim compulsory contributions an employer might pay you under the Super Guarantee, nor contributions you might make as part of a salary sacrifice arrangement with an employer.


Tax-deductible contributions may be particularly beneficial if you’re self-employed and don’t have an employer making before-tax contributions on your behalf. 


Contributions that you claim a tax-deduction for are generally taxed at 15% within your super fund (the same treatment that applies to contributions made by your employer).

What are the potential benefits?

  • Boost what you have in super, which could mean more money for your retirement
  • Claim a tax deduction, which may mean you pay less in tax 
  • Further tax advantages might exist within the super system, including those on investment earnings.

How do I claim a tax deduction on super contributions?

To claim this tax time, you need to do the following things:

  1. Have made an after-tax contribution to your super either as a one-off or regular payment in 2023-24 financial year
  2. Lodge a valid notice of intent form with your super fund before you lodge your tax return – or before the end of 2024-25 financial year (if that’s earlier)
  3. Receive an acknowledgement from your fund in writing
  4. Finalise your tax return using the contribution amount included on your notice of intent.

For a full summary of the rules relating to claiming tax deductions for personal super contributions please see the ATO website.

Are there super contribution limits?

There are concessional and non-concessional contributions and different caps apply to each.


The cap on concessional contributions, which tax-deductible contributions are one of, is $27,500 for 2023-24 financial year.


However, you may be able to use the ‘carry forward rule’ to make a larger concessional contribution. The carry forward rule allows you to use any unused concessional cap amounts over the previous 5 financial years. To be eligible, your total super balance must be below $500,000 on 30 June of the previous financial year. This can be beneficial if you have higher taxable income in a particular financial year. 


Other concessional contributions include compulsory contributions employers are required to pay, and salary sacrifice contributions, which is an arrangement you might set up with your employer.


If you exceed contribution caps, additional tax and penalties may apply.

Do any age restrictions apply?

If you’re aged 67 to 74 and you want to claim a tax deduction on any after-tax super contributions you’ve made, you’ll need to meet the work test, or work test exemption.


Under work test requirements, you must be gainfully employed for at least 40 hours over 30 consecutive days in the financial year the contributions are made. 


This is an annual test, which means you will need to meet the work test or work test exemption in each financial year that you wish to claim a tax deduction on after-tax super contributions.


To be exempt from the work test, you need to have:

  • met the work test in the financial year before you made the contribution
  • a total super balance below $300,000 at the end of the previous financial year
  • not used the work test exemption in a previous financial year.

Looking for more information on tax-deductible super contributions?

If you have any further questions about claiming tax deductions on after-tax super contributions, visit the ATO, speak to your adviser, or use our find an adviser service to locate one near you. 

What’s next?

Make a contribution<br> to your super

Make a contribution
to your super

We’ve made it easy for you to top up your investments with a variety of payment options.


Get the right <br>financial advice

Get the right
financial advice

CFS makes financial advice accessible to every Australian, at any stage of life. Find quality advice that's right for you.

Why CFS is not your <br>average super fund

Why CFS is not your
average super fund

We aim to deliver low fees and strong performance that are anything but average.


Unleash in ways you never thought possible

Get in touch

Get in touch with us online or call us
8:30am to 6pm AEST Monday to Friday.

Find a financial adviser

Use our tool to find professional financial advice,

local to you.

Download mobile app

Track your balance and see your 

transactions history from anywhere.

1. Source: CFS commissioned survey on 2,247 Australians aged 18+ between July and September 2023.


Avanteos Investments Limited ABN 20 096 259 979, AFSL 245531 (AIL) is the trustee of the Colonial First State FirstChoice Superannuation Trust ABN 26 458 298 557 and issuer of FirstChoice range of super and pension products. Colonial First State Investments Limited ABN 98 002 348 352, AFSL 232468 (CFSIL) is the responsible entity and issuer of products made available under FirstChoice Investments and FirstChoice Wholesale Investments.


Information on this webpage is provided by AIL and CFSIL. It may include general advice but does not consider your individual objectives, financial situation, needs or tax circumstances. You can find the target market determinations (TMD) for our financial products at  https://www.cfs.com.au/tmd which include a description of who a financial product might suit. You should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) carefully, assess whether the information is appropriate for you, and consider talking to a financial adviser before making an investment decision. You can get the PDS and FSG at www.cfs.com.au or by calling us on 13 13 36.


Tax considerations are general and based on present tax laws and may be subject to change. You should seek independent, professional tax advice before making any decision based on this information.


AIL and CFSIL are not registered tax (financial) advisers under the Tax Agent Services Act 2009 and you should seek tax advice from a registered tax agent or a registered tax (financial) adviser if you intend to rely on this information to satisfy the liabilities or obligations or claim entitlements that arise under a tax law.